Sunday, July 14, 2013

What is writing?

"So, how much writing did you get done today?" I asked the girl while stretching my legs out on the couch in the living room. This was the first real question after the cursory "hello, how are you doing?" that never really needed an answer but was asked anyway, even of ones own daughter. I snuggled into the couch pillow just as I started my advance towards the real questioning.

"I haven't been very productive today, but I did update my website." She replied.

"Ok, going to it now." I open up my Kindle to the web search and press the first icon on the page. "Ah, I see it."

"I didnt' say you had to read it now." I can sense in her voice the border between annoyance and irritation. She didn't mean for me to go to her site. I don't care. I read what she wrote hoping not to find typo's or egregious running on sentences. So far so good. I tell her so.

"So, have you read my blog lately?" I ask her. What comes as natural as breathing to her is like plucking another grey hair to me. But as she is the only one besides myself that knows that my blog exists. I ask her to read it.

"Just a sec. Got it." She hesitates and I flip flop the cell phone to my other ear.

"And?" I query. "What do you think? I wrote this post with the changes in the sigh story from what Kim told me."
The girl starts to laugh.

"What?" Now my alarms are going off. I didn't think it was that bad. In fact I thought it was better than the previous post.

"This first part. It's like a book." She tells me.

"Ok, what does that mean?" I mean really, what did that mean?

"Well, you wrote it in first person. This whole post is a story." A simple answer. But I still didn't get what she meant.
"Where you wrote she looks over her magnified glasses and glares at me is first person versus writing in third person. This part is a story."

"Oh, really. Hmm. So you like the story?" I ask her.

"I am so not the girl. Really mom, you had her say masterbation!"

"Yes sweetie, you are not the girl. You would never act like that. Like, ever. This is just writing."
Sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment